Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Painting: Dark Angels ('Dualwing')

It's been a few weeks since my last post because I've been putting off the inevitable: PAINTING.

Goddammit though, I have to bite the bullet sometime.

That sometime is now. A week on Friday a few friends and I head to the GW November Throne of Skulls at Warhammer World. Last time I was there I ad a pretty sucky timebecause my 5th ed Angels Sanguine got trounced. Repeatedly. No fun. 

To mend that I'm taking an army I don't really know, it's really my play style and that I've barely practiced with. On top of that it needs painting. I essentially have five full days. (away with work, travel etc) so it's going to be a challenge for sure. Here's where things are at...

A few posts back I showed some Deathwing I started with the airbrush. I need 10 for the force I'm taking so have to paint another 5 to match. The only problem is I don't remember my recipe. That's a bugger. I'm sure I can figure it out, just hopefully without any cock ups first. Watch this space.

The 'to-do' pile: 18 bikes, Sammael, Darkshroud, 10 Terminators, 2 attack bikes.
To allow me to procrastinate further I decided to add to Sammael's jetbike. Since I 'finished' the conversion I've been thinking something was missing. Recently I decided it lacked height. Today I decided to add a tail fin made from an old landspeeder wing. 

Here's before:

 And now:

Admittedly I now think it's maybe too tall but I do prefer it looking more 'chunky' like this - I'd added a lot of bits to the front to it helps balance it. I might try and add a couple of Ravenwing icons to the fin if I can sand them slimmer. 

Another shot:

With that done I actually got the paints out and started on bases for everything in one batch. I made the bases a while ago from cork sheet:

I wanted them a reddish brown, kind of a Martian landscape of dry, flat plains. I used a Vallejo coloured surface primer for over black undercoat for some natural shading. I then drybrushed a couple of old GW colours - Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather - over all the edges and 'gravel'. This is how they came out:

The Darkshroud is finished by the way :)

And that's pretty much where I'm up to. Sorry there's isn't much of any actually painted Dark Angels as the title really suggests, there will be! The plan is: Sunday - undercoats for everything, start Deathwing; Monday - Deathwing, start Sammael; Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - Ravenwing squad per day plus Darkshroud. 

It's going to be a real challenge. The advantage is that most of the army is black so it's really going to be a case of undercoat black, base coat black, details. It sounds simple anyway and with 7 models per day I'm hoping to be able to do them to a semi-decent standard before the tournament. I'll also try to update this each day...that'll be the real challenge!

Wish me luck!
blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...